Memorial Tree Program
Sponsored by the St. Charles Park Foundation
"Perhaps nature is our best assurance of immortality" - Eleanor Roosevelt
Plant a Tree as a LIVING MEMORIAL
Your gift of a Memorial Tree will improve the quality of life within the St. Charles Park District and make a long-lasting contribution to the beauty of a park site of your choice.
A Memorial Tree is a beautiful way to honor a loved one, mark an anniversary or special occasion and/or recognize an event or significant achievement.
Most people respond to the presence of trees beyond simply observing their beauty. People of all ages may feel serene, peaceful, restful and tranquil in a grove of trees.
A tree is a recognized symbol of nature’s strength, beauty and endurance.
- stabilizing the soil and preventing erosion
- providing food and shelter for wildlife
- supplying oxygen and improving air quality
- offering shade to lower air temperatures
- and much more
Tree Type Selection
A Memorial Tree will be chosen in consultation with the Park District’s horticulturist, who will adhere to the tree planting plan adopted by the St. Charles Park District. Species of trees planted will be determined based upon planting location and tree type needed for the chosen park site.
Trees are planted in Spring and Fall according to grower recommendations for the particular species. Trees will be closely monitored and professionally maintained by Park District staff.
Depending upon availability, tree type selection includes, but is not limited to, the following varieties:
- Red Maple – Acer Rubrum
- Sugar Maple – Acer Saccharinum
- Ginkgo – Ginkgo Biloba
- Kentucky Coffeetree – Gymnocladus Dioica
- Bur Oak – Quercus Macrocarpa
- White Oak – Quercus Alba
- Swamp White Oak – Quercus bicolor
- Linden – Tilia Americana
- Tulip Tree – Liriodendron Tulipfera
- Triumph Elm - Ulmusx Morton Glossy
- Crabapple - Malus (Cultivar)
- Magnolia - Magnolia (Cultivar)
- Contact the St. Charles Park District’s Parks Department at 630-513-4362 to indicate interest in purchasing a Memorial Tree.
- The Park District’s horticulturist will contact you regarding the tree cost, tree type and planting location.
- Complete order form.
- Make check payable to the St. Charles Park Foundation
- Mail order form with payment to:
St. Charles Park Foundation
c/o St. Charles Park District
8 North Avenue
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
- Once tree is planted, donors will be notified. Please note that due to liability, visitors are not allowed in parks during planting of trees.
- A complimentary brass leaf will be placed on the Memorial Tree Wall in Pottawatomie Community Center. A complimentary recogntion plaque will be placed on the Memorial Tree.
For more information about Memorial Trees, call 630-513-4362.